Monday 30 March 2020

cOnnecT with Holly Tang



Interview with Holly Tang, recipient of the CAOT-BC Dianna Mah-Jones Memorial Grant for Innovation.


Why did you choose occupational therapy as a career?
I didn’t know what occupational therapy was. I discovered the profession during high school when I volunteered in a children’s hospital. I had thought to myself, “Wow, I get to play with children all day and get paid, I want this job”. I continued to research this profession and others (i.e. Physical Therapy, Speech Language Therapy and Dietary Studies), but none of it really held my interest like occupational therapy.  I decided that if I didn’t try to apply to an OT program, I would regret it for the rest of my life.
Fortunately, and unfortunately, when I had fieldwork placements, I did not get a single paediatric placement, but was placed in adult and older adult population. I fell in love with this population and never looked back.

Tell me about someone who has influenced your occupational therapy practice?
Where I knew I made the right decision in my career was on my second to last placement, I met a group of phenomenal OT’s from Markham Stouville Hospital, Markham Ontario. First and foremost was my preceptor, Tracey Clerc. She is my idol OT, she walked the talk of an OT. She really helped me see how OT concepts turned into realistic, achievable and functional goals. Then there was Michelle McDonald, who really challenged my skills and thinking to always strive for best practice as a new clinician. Parveen Jessani helped me make a leap from acute care to community health. I wouldn’t be where I am today, without the kindness, open attitude and mentorship that they have all shown me.

Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?
I worked in acute care and in the community in Ontario for approximately two years before moving out to B.C. Currently I work for Fraser Health on a medical and stroke cohort unit in a community hospital. I am also an OT consultant with a private company called Sahara Rehab.

What do you like about occupational therapy?
I love that OT is a profession where its philosophy is applicable across any age group, any population and any culture. I apply it to my own life and comfortably speak to my patients and clients about it.

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?
My favourite thing about CAOT-BC is the education opportunities that it provides to its members. I particularly appreciate that they point out the courses of interest to me.

Tell us about how you have used this grant?
I have used this grant for a course called Dementia Care: A comprehensive approach to support aging in place.  This course has given me new perspective on this population. I feel that the course has armed me with some new talking points to my OT colleagues and hospital colleagues. With my OT colleagues, I hope to share my new learning about different assessments and intervention ideas through a department in-service. With my hospital colleagues, I hope to engage them in a conversation on exploring the care we provide as a team and aim for excellence through our monthly skills refresher and Stroke Matters meetings. Lastly, I intend to use what I have learned to help my patients/clients, families and caregivers better navigate this disease journey.

What do you think will change/shape practice over the next five years?
I think our OT profession continues to grow; thanks to the advocacy group we have in Canada. I always think of our profession as the profession of common sense. Our role will continue to expand in the community as financial resources continue to be limited. I think we will also see more OTs move into leadership roles, advocacy roles and create new uncharted roles and identities!

#OT365

No comments:

Post a Comment