Thursday 26 June 2014

cOnnecT with Jeff Boniface


What made you choose OT as your career?
I had always been interested in health, wellness and rehabilitation and while I was completing my undergraduate degree in kinesiology, I was constantly on the look out for a profession that would link my interests with a meaningful career. At one point I was considering physiotherapy and while I was researching program options, I came across another program called occupational therapy. The more I looked into occupational therapy the more I realized that it was just a good fit for me as a person. It seemed more practical than some of the other options and I thought it would offer me more options for my future. I knew I had made the right career decision when on the first day of class, our instructor described the difference between occupational therapy and  physiotherapy. She explained jokingly that while physiotherapy for a person with an arm injury may focus on getting movement back in their arm, occupational therapy would put a beer in their hand and make it a functional activity!

Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?
I began working at the Kitchener/Waterloo hospital while also doing some vocational rehabilitation at a community clinic. I did this there for about a year and found it was a great way to broaden my experience in general medicine. I then moved to the London Health Sciences Centre which is a teaching hospital in London, Ontario and stayed there for about a year. Going into the profession, I had always thought I was going to practice in the public sector but I also wanted to travel so I moved to British Columbia when I was offered a community position with a private practice company. I never thought I would go the private practice route because I didn’t have an entrepreneurial background but it really opened my eyes to other aspects of healthcare. Through this job, I got experience in community rehab and I really, really loved it. Around this time, I was also interested in some international work and this interest took me to Hong Kong where I worked as an occupational therapy teaching assistant at the Hong Kong Polytechnic University. When I returned to Vancouver, I worked at Riverview hospital for a year because I wanted to expand my knowledge base in mental health practice and from there, I made a big change and went into private practice on my own. The transition was nerve-racking at first but then I got my first referral and have been a solo practitioner doing community rehabilitation ever since.

What has been your most interesting job?
Well, I love what I do now. I just love the follow through I get to be a part of. Because my clients have largely experienced catastrophic injury and brain injury, I get to work with them, day in and day out, to help them achieve their goals. I get to be really involved in their lives as  I can sometimes end up working with a client for many years at a time. It’s very rewarding to see clients overcome challenges and achieve their goals.


What is your personal philosophy about volunteering and giving back to the profession?
I’m a strong believer in volunteering and giving back as I’ve received so much from mentors throughout my life both personally and professionally. And I’m always aspiring to be a better person, which I think translates into being a better occupational therapist. So, I try to do as much as I can outside of my private practice. Some of my volunteer work includes being a clinical faculty member at the University of British Columbia; offering fieldwork opportunities to both occupational therapy and occupational therapy assistant students; being involved with UBC occupational therapy students’ major research projects.

I’m also a board member for the Canadian Occupational Therapy Foundation (COTF), and I’ve also been a past board member for the College of Occupational Therapist of British Columbia (COTBC). Additionally, I’m serving as the Vice President of the BC Brain injury Association and I am a member of the Kiwanis Club of Vancouver. And of course, anywhere I can, I help out with our association (Canadian Association of Occupational Therapists, BC). A less obvious way that I support our profession is by always identifying myself as an occupational therapist first and foremost. I think it’s important that we support our profession and the title it brings with it…even for those of us working in non-clinical roles such as in research, education or administration. I think emphasizing one’s training as an occupational therapist is important throughout the span of our careers.

What might someone be surprised to know about you?
I live in the Indian Arm in North Vancouver, BC and my home is accessible by boat only! It’s the greatest community to be a part of but it is definitely a unique lifestyle choice. We commute by boat into town daily and the kids are off to school and my wife and I are off to work and then we boat back together again at the end of each day. It’s a lot of fun.

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an occupational therapist?
I would say they’re about to make the best choice they have ever made in life. I think it’s an excellent career. There are so many avenues that you can go into, whether it’s in traditional occupational therapy roles or a more non-traditional ones; Whether it’s in a clinical context or in a non-clinical one. I would also tell them to do their homework and to volunteer. And to get involved in activities that are outside the scope of occupational therapy because there is just so much out there in the world, it’s hard to be really certain about what you want to do with your life unless you have had a chance to experience a variety of things. I believe you should love what you do and have a passion for it so making sure something is the right fit for you is important.


What do you do when you aren't working or volunteering?
Travelling, enjoying life “up the arm” and participating in outdoor sports - whether it’s taking the kids out tubing, water skiing, kayaking, paddle boarding, fishing, hiking, camping, skiing, going for trail runs or going out with the dogs (we have two labs names Ginger and Guinness)…I just really enjoy being outside, in nature. Family is very important to me so I enjoy sharing these experiences with my wife and two kids.

-Interview conducted by Lara Belegamage (UBC MOTII student)

No comments:

Post a Comment