Friday 3 October 2014

cOnnecT with Susan Bonney

Meet the 2014 CAOT-BC Outstanding Occupational Therapist of the Year

Why did you choose OT as a career?
My first exposure to OT as a career came through an aptitude test and then everything just fell into place.  I knew I wanted to work with people and was interested in medicine.  However I was also seeking a career which fostered initiative, creativity  and lifelong learning while offering a wide variety of practice options.  Travelling and working overseas was also part of my dream.  The more I discovered OT the more I saw it as a perfect match.  I subsequently met a number of OTs in different practice areas and at different career stages.  All were unfailingly enthusiastic about their profession. 

Where have you worked over your career and where do you work now?
My initial training was in Australia  where I was fortunate to be able to work a junior rotation through Royal Hobart Hospital over the first two years of my career. This allowed me to  experience working in five very different practice areas and led me to my eventual choice of  community paediatrics. 
Before travelling overseas, I enjoyed working at Royal Perth Rehabilitation Hospital’s Traumatic Brain Injury unit where I was honoured to occasionally work with people from isolated aboriginal tribes who were flown down by the Royal Flying Doctor service.
My first position in Canada was at Sunny Hill Health Centre  where I became OT director.  I was also an Assistant Faculty member with what later became Sensory Integration international. 
Four years later I was drawn back to community and a position with The Neurological centre , a non profit agency now known as BC Centre for Ability, where I continue to work as Director of OT .  Highlights have included setting up the Community Brain Injury Program for Children and Youth in BC and the North Shore School -Age Therapy Program and contributing as a board member to the design of Supported Child Development services in Vancouver.

What might someone be surprised to know about you?
With a career that  absorbed so much time and energy, my OT training on wellness led me to recognise that I needed some diversity in leisure and volunteerism.  Consequently I am very involved with Vancouver Orphan Kitten Rescue Association.  Although initially this was very different from OT, my work experience led me full circle and I have developed an interest in working with kittens who have movement disorders! 

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?
Deciding to become an OT was a decision I never regretted.  The profession offers continual growth as a person and as a learner.  You will meet wonderful people among both clients and colleagues and enjoy exposure to a wide variety of cultures. OT helps people to participate in life.

What do you think will change and shape practice over the next five years?
As funding in the public sector reduces, many OTs will need to do more with less.  This also presents with opportunity.  I expect to see even more focus on evidence based practice and outcome measurement, to ensure we are using limited resources efficiently and effectively.  Knowledge translation, especially between researchers and clinicians, will be key, along with greater use of trans-disciplinary practices.  Technology, including web-based platforms and social media, will likely play a bigger role as we communicate with our clients. I also see  OTs continuing to explore new horizons in the private sector.  Today’s new grads will lead the way with their flexibility and open, enquiring approach which should serve the profession well.





No comments:

Post a Comment