Thursday 28 May 2015

cOnnecT with Lisa Kristalovich




Why did you choose OT as a career?

My best friend in high school was looking into OT as a career, so I followed her and looked into it as well. She's now a pharmacist and 20 years later I'm still an occupational therapist! While I originally looked into it because of my friend, I stuck with it because I really like healthcare, and I like that occupational therapists get to spend time getting to know their patient and looking at what is meaningful to that patient. We get to look at actual activities rather than focusing on disease. The other reason I really stuck with it was because of the diversity. The more I looked into OT the more different practice areas I discovered which meant that I wasn’t going to get bored! I think that is one of the real strengths of OT. Once you have those basic skills you can apply them to so many different areas.

Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?

I started off by working in the US for about 4 years. It was a very small hospital, and it meant I had exposure to a lot of different areas. I got to spend some time on the medical surgical unit, the rehab unit, extended care and outpatient. When I came back to Canada I went into private practice with Community Therapists, and after working there for a number of years I went to work for Providence in their Driver rehab program. I ended up here at GF Strong as of January of this year. I've been fortunate in my work experiences that I've had a huge variety, which is great.

You are a volunteer for CAOT-BC. Why do you do it?

Historically in driver rehab, the OT community was not cohesive; we didn’t have a lot of communication between therapists. As I continued working in the field and switching from one place to another, I saw opportunities for all of us to grow and share information and resources and get better at what we are doing by working a little more collaboratively. I wanted to build places for us to come together to share knowledge, rather than everybody having to learn the same thing independently. I also really wanted to build our relationship with RoadSafety BC and promote what occupational therapy can do. For the past several years I’d say it’s worked out quite successfully, and that network is gradually growing. It’s actually one of the things I’m most proud of.

Tell me about someone who has influenced your OT practice.

There are a lot of people. Brenda Vrkljan is an OT who’s involved in research at McMaster University. She has an amazing ability to network, and she is one of the people I’ve been using as a model as I've been trying to build networks. Dana Benoit was my instructor and mentor when I took my graduate certificate at McGill. She is the goddess of all things clinical for driving. She knows everything. I wish I had her knowledge—maybe I will after another 20 years! Jeanne Harborne is one of my colleagues from Holy Family Hospital. She has an amazing calm personality and wonderful ways of phrasing things to patients – I've picked up a lot from her. She also has the ability to step back and look at the big picture. She could always help me when I was getting stuck on the little details.

What might someone be surprised to know about you?

I was once in the Guinness Book of World Records for the most knitters knitting simultaneously in one place at one time. Unfortunately, the next year someone beat our record!

What do you do when you aren't working and volunteering?


Knitting, hiking, and reading. Between work projects and school I haven’t had much time, but I finally finished my coursework for school and I am looking forward to more hobby time!

No comments:

Post a Comment