Tuesday 29 March 2016

cOnnecT with Jenny Cashmore


Why did you choose OT as a career?
As a disillusioned Emily Carr art student in 1985, I chose a brief stint of career counseling, and thats when I experienced a classic eureka! moment on discovering that there was such a thing as occupational therapy.  It satisfied my search for a profession where I could use my privilege to contribute positively to society and it also synthesized my eclectic interests:

  • Science, allopathic medicine and various complementary health practices
  • Practical nature: doing it vs. talking about it
  • Creativity and expressive arts: their power to promote growth and healing
  • Respect for those who live with and overcome adversity of many kinds (mental/emotional, physical, socio-cultural)
  • Curiosity about diversity of cultures and human beings
  • Spirituality (its various forms, practices, meanings): the core of human purpose and fulfillment

My path towards OT profession was greatly influenced by…
Rick Hansen, completing his epic Man in Motion journey. I was deeply inspired by the strength of his mental and physical will to challenge and overcome barriers.

Nancy, a woman who was like a second mother. She became quadriplegic in 1964 and I grew up experiencing vicariously the challenge of living with a significant disability. The amazing community of people that surrounded her taught me about social connectedness as crucial to wellness.

What has surprised you most about working as an OT?
When I tell people I work in community mental health and people say Oh good for you, I could never do what you do”—and even from other OTs!

That it is usually the institutional environment and societal barriers that are the most demanding in my work, not the clients themselves.

What has been your most interesting job?
My dream came true to be part of the Mental Health Commission of Canadas At Home / Chez Soi-- research project on homelessness. As the first OT to work with RainCity Housing (a non-profit organization I respected immensely), I was part of an amazing Assertive Community Treatment team, using a model called Housing Firstessentially, giving clients a home and a diverse team to meet the client wherever they were at in their recovery. It was a 24/7 service that challenged me to be as non-traditionalan OT as I could be. It was immensely rewarding to be so closely involved in peoples lives and journey of recovery, and to see positive outcomes in a short time when resources are well placed.

Tell about someone who has influenced your OT practice.
My father, a child and family psychiatrist, modelled collaboration within a multi-disciplinary team, respecting each colleagues unique contribution and always keeping the focus on the client at the centre. He also inspired me with his continued advocacy for increased awareness and resources for those living with mental health issues.

What do you do when you arent working?
One of my biggest priorities is to enjoy quality time with my 91 year old mum at her home in a seniors facility.

Taking advantage of the good fortune of long employer paid vacations; Ive enjoyed some great adventures from kayaking in Baja and Tonga, sightseeing in Thailand and Italy, and currently I’m here in India on my sixth visit at the time of writing this! J

In installments, I am pursuing my long-time interest in Ayurveda, Indias traditional holistic medicine, and applying Indian spiritual philosophies. I learn from my teacher here in Dharamsala, as well as learning experientially through wellness-based rejuvenation treatments.

#OTBIO
  

No comments:

Post a Comment