Wednesday 28 September 2016

cOnnecT with Flora Miles


Interview with Flora Miles, CAOT-BC Advisory Committee Member and Managing Editor of OT Now. 

Why did you choose OT as a career?
When I was choosing my career, I had in mind a few requirements.  I knew I wanted a helping career, and I wanted something a bit different from a doctor or nurse. While I find the human mind fascinating and thought I was going to become a psychologist (thus having done my undergraduate degree in psychology), I wanted something that was more practical and hands-on. I also wanted a career that worked with people’s physical dis/abilities alongside their psychological and cognitive ones. 
When I was nearing the end of my bachelor degree, I worked with an OT student from whom I found out about OT. From talking to her, I came to realize and was attracted to the client-centeredness of the profession as well as its holistic approach. I shadowed a few OTs and after that, I was hooked! 

Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?
I have worked in both Ontario and BC. My work has always been in the community, but I’ve worked in the private as well as the public sector. I love working out in the community; it is always so different and you get to meet your clients where they are at. It’s one of the most natural setting to do OT, in my opinion. 
Currently, I’m researching about OT (as a doctoral student), writing about OT (as Managing Editor with OT Now), and teaching about OT (to students, as a teaching assistant at UBC). 

What has been your most interesting job?
I have enjoyed and found all my work very interesting. However, when I worked in rural Ontario, that was like nothing I’ve ever been exposed to before and it was a lot of fun. Having grown up in the city, I learned so much about working in small towns and its culture with this job. People were very friendly and I enjoyed getting to know everyone I worked with. I witnessed a lot of rural poverty and people are usually appreciative of your help. I also learned how a shovel in the back seat can take you a long way, especially when you are driving along country farm roads during the blustery Ontario winter months!

What do you find most challenging about working as an OT?
OT is not black-and-white, and there is rarely a formula to it. This can be a challenge when you are unsure of how to proceed in a therapeutic relationship, especially to new grads. However, I think this is one of the best things about OT: you get to be challenged and are always learning - about your clients and about yourself. 

You are a volunteer for CAOT-BC, why do you do it?
It is such a privilege to be an OT. The profession is brimming with opportunities, learning, and fulfillment. I want to give back to this profession and enable others (OTs and clients) to find the most satisfaction from occupational therapy. Being on the Advisory Committee, I am excited to partner with passionate colleagues to advocate for this dynamic and growing profession on a provincial level. 

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?
If you like to help and work with people, problem-solve, and face something different everyday – do it! It is such a diverse career that you can almost always find your niche. If you’re unsure, talk to a few OTs (in different practice areas) and shadow them. It’s the best way to know more about it.

What do you do when you aren't working and volunteering?
When I’m not working or volunteering, you can find me running long distances, walking our dog, or hanging out with our 8.5-month old baby (and teaching him about OT). I am also a huge bookworm and love to bake up a storm! 

No comments:

Post a Comment