Friday 23 December 2016

cOnnecT with Kayleigh Youngman


Interview with Kayleigh Youngman, University of Alberta Student Representative for CAOT-BC Advisory Committee. 

What did you do before OT school?
I completed my Bachelor of Arts at McGill University, with a major in International Development and double minors in management and communications. My studies granted me the unique opportunity to complete a 3-month internship in Peru, where I taught English for a local non-governmental organization. Throughout my undergraduate education I knew that I wanted a rewarding career where I could contribute to community development. Yet it wasn’t until I worked as a personal support worker for the Spinal Cord Injury Association of Australia that I found out what OT was, and discovered my true passion. I felt privileged to work alongside OTs, and to have the opportunity to support clients to engage in meaningful activities, increase independence, and improve quality of life. I loved going to work everyday, and valued the therapeutic and relationships that I made with my clients. I quickly realized that OT was my dream job.

Why did you choose OT as a career?
I chose to go into OT because I wanted a meaningful career where I could help people to achieve their goals and improve their quality of life. I am an extrovert, and always knew that I wanted to have a job where I could work directly with people. I love the process of building rapport, and finding what makes someone “tick”. I value the holistic lens that OT provides, as we look beyond the physical to address the significant spiritual, cognitive, and environmental factors of a person. Occupational therapy is both an art and a science, and I appreciate the unique therapeutic style that each clinician brings into their practice. I love that OT is a strengths-based, client-centered profession that promotes what is most meaningful to our clients. I look forward to having a rewarding career where I am excited to go to work everyday.


What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?
Being involved in CAOT-BC is an exciting opportunity for me because I am a BC resident. I am originally from White Rock, and plan on moving back to Vancouver once I graduate from the U of A. I enjoy hearing the updates from members and appreciate staying involved with what is going on in my home province at the clinical and political level. As the scope of OT is so broad, I also find it very interesting to hear the unique practical experiences of the diverse committee members. It is exciting to recognize all of the different roles and positions that an OT can have!

What would you tell someone that is thinking about becoming an OT?
I would highly recommend OT as a career choice, as I think it is such a creative, rewarding and exciting profession. Everyone has his or her own strengths, personality, and background, which develop such unique clinicians. The profession truly has something to offer for everyone, and I think the world could only benefit from having more OTs!

What do you do when you are not working or volunteering?
When I am not studying, working, or volunteering, I enjoy spending time outdoors, going to the gym, and hanging out with friends. After a long day of studying you might find me sweating out my stress at spin class, or clearing my mind at yoga. I have been frequenting the farmers market lately on the weekends, and am trying to experiment with new, exciting recipes in the kitchen. I also love to host dinner parties! One of my favourite things about living in Vancouver is having access to the mountains, and when I come home I try to hike as much as possible. I also love to travel, and would love to continue to explore the world once I graduate from OT. 

No comments:

Post a Comment