Monday 23 January 2017

cOnnecT with Sue Stanton


Why did you choose OT as a career?
I wanted something that would really challenge me, give me opportunities to be creative, and wouldn’t fix me in a particular role or situation for my entire career. My mother’s interest in becoming an occupational therapist (OT), even though OT wasn't available in New Zealand when she was young, sparked my exploration of OT. I soon learned that OT would give me career flexibility, travel, diverse work opportunities, and much more. With a mom who was a nurse and a dad who was a social worker, I was destined to work with people. Hooked on OT, I started my OT education at the age of 17.

Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?
In the first 2 years, I was very fortunate to be given the opportunity to rotate through a variety of different practice areas with different client populations in a large New Zealand hospital. I credit that experience and supportive medical colleagues for giving me a really solid foundation for practice and strong belief in the value of OT. In Vancouver I began work at Holy Family Hospital with the Arthritis Society Program as well as with older adults with other conditions, and moved from there to start a rehab program in a new extended care unit.
A lot of people wondered why I would choose extended care when so many other opportunities were available to me but I had always enjoyed older people and hearing stories about their lives. The complex care needs of the residents demanded more creativity from me than any other clinical position I held. There wasn’t a lot of evidence available then about best practices. I'd make a splint for confused resident who immediately took it off -- I learned to think outside of the box. One fantastic aspect of that role was being hired 2 months before the centre opened and having the opportunity to plan services, create a hiring plan and so on. This gave me a taste of leadership which I really enjoyed.
When a position came up at UBC I jumped at the opportunity to work more with students. Five years as the first UBC fieldwork coordinator, was followed by another five years as the Head of the UBC Division of OT (now OSOT Department). After working in a regular faculty position I returned to the OT Division Head role for two years due to faculty shortages. That was the most challenging role I’ve ever had, not because I couldn't do it but because I could do it. I was bored. While there are always new things to learn, in research for example, when the sameness in a role vastly exceeds new learning, I know a change is for the better. Next I started and directed the UBC Rehabilitation Science Online Programs (RSOPs), comprising the Graduate Certificate in Rehabilitation and the Master of Rehabilitation Science for 16 years through June 2016.  I continue to be on the online instructor and major project research supervisor list for the RSOPs. Right now though, I’m working full-time on a PhD – who knows where that will take me. OT offers so many choices!

What do you think will change/shape practice over the next five years?
Healthcare costs and funding will continue to be a significant problem that spurs renewal of the health care system. The surging elderly population and many others can benefit much from OT services yet there are insufficient occupational therapists to serve them. The rising BC population and the time it takes to educate more OTs won’t eliminate this problem quickly so it won’t disappear soon.  A major growth area for OT will be in primary health care where OTs will collaborate with other health professionals to advance individual and population health in new ways. OT’s have the creativity and leadership skills to design new programs and services in this sector, and enhance the visibility of OT as they do so.

What might someone be surprised to know about you?
I worked at UBC for so long that people might be surprised to learn that I like change. I love teaching and working with students, and that’s what kept me there. I sought change by taking on and developing new roles, and different ways of contributing to the education of OTs and other rehab professionals.

What do you like to do in your spare time?
I love sailing and being on the water as well as anything creative – home design, sewing, painting. I want to continue to change and really utilize the skills and knowledge I’ve developed as an OT to contribute to the profession and to the world we live in.  

No comments:

Post a Comment