Monday 27 February 2017

cOnnecT with Anica Villamayor


Interview with Anica Villamayor, UBC MOTI student representative for the CAOT-BC Advisory Committee 

Why did you choose OT as a career?
Like most healthcare students, I wanted a profession that gave me the opportunity to help people. I chose OT specifically because I believe that the work that OTs do is client-centered and holistic. It’s important to address what the client needs cognitively, affectively and physically, focusing on how different factors in the environment affects the person. Both aspects of the person and their environment affects their activities and occupations. These factors are constantly confirmed as I continue to learn in my classes as well as participate in my placements. I also chose OT because it fits my interests and personality. I like to problem solve in a creative way and I value the client-centered focus of the profession.

What is your favorite thing about CAOT-BC?
Based on my experience, CAOT-BC works hard to advocate for the OT profession. There are several initiatives to support the members of CAOT-BC such as registration to the health library for access to up to date research, information dissemination using emails, advocating for our profession to the BC government, creating posters that help promote the profession, and organizing workshops and seminars for continuous education. Out of all the things that CAOT-BC does, I really appreciate how it keeps everyone informed and connected to the relevant events and information. As a student, it’s easy to focus completely on my classes and neglect the events that are happening with the larger OT community. CAOT-BC has been very welcoming to my cohort and has given us access to what is happening around BC

What do you like about OT?
In my past experiences, I had the opportunity to see how OT makes a difference in a person's life. Occupations are often neglected and it’s easy to focus on a person’s limitations and problems. Compared to other health care professions, OT also focuses on a person’s strengths and resources. Unlike most health care professions, OT looks at the person as a whole, considering several aspects that might affect a person.

You are a volunteer for CAOT-BC, why do you do it?
Even though I’m still a student, I think it's still important to be involved and contribute to the OT community, especially with CAOT-BC since it has been very informative and welcoming to students. I’m currently a student representative for the CAOT-BC Advisory Committee. Being in the committee has given me the opportunity to learn more about the relevant concerns and plans of the larger OT community. I am also able to let my fellow students know more about information that is relevant to our cohort. It is also great that the committee is open to hearing the voice of an OT student.

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?
I know a few people who are interested in becoming an OT and entering the MOT program in UBC. I would advise them to work hard to meet UBC’s requirements. Aside from the school requirements, I would tell them to try to talk to as many OTs as possible, while also respecting their time. Before entering any MOT program, I would encourage students to deeply reflect on the values of OT, especially client-centeredness.

No comments:

Post a Comment