Wednesday 29 March 2017

cOnnecT with Skye Barbic


Why did you choose OT as a career?
I wish I had an academic answer for this….but I don’t. I was a flight attendant working for a large Canadian airline. At the same time I was completing an undergraduate degree in biochemistry. I was not sure if I was going to pursue a career in the air or in a lab. Both did not seem like ideal long-term options for me. One night on a trans-Canadian flight, I met an occupational therapist. She told me all about her career and I was fascinated. Right after I landed, I started researching the field…and realized I should apply and give it a try.  I am so glad I got in and Queen’s gave me a chance. My biochemistry marks would have never gotten me into any OT program today. But once I was in, the marks were easy because I loved what I was doing. My confidence increased, my passion started brewing, and I embraced my new meaningful role.

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?
Since moving to BC in October 2014, CAOT-BC has made me feel like part of a family. I have enjoyed opportunities to learn about other OTs in the province and connect with visionaries such as Stephen Epp and Giovanna Boniface. I have been impressed by the leadership and the role of CAOT-BC to advance system change and support the growth of new and established clinicians. With only one university in the province, the responsibility of academia to support clinicians (and vice versa) is a fairly large one (geographically and population wise). The open communication from CAOT-BC has allowed me to quickly meet many OTs across the province and develop new relationships. CAOT-BC is so active at all levels of government - making it possible to mobilize change and take ideas to practice quickly. I look forward to working with CAOT-BC and its members for many years ahead.


Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?
I started my career working in Kingston, Ontario, a terrific place to work as an OT. The community of 100,000 people has a combination of a growing population with mental health concerns, a world class university and occupational therapy program, and a committed community to enhancing the quality of life of its citizens. This inspired me not only to be a good OT, but a change maker. After my Master’s, I moved to Montreal to complete my PhD and I worked in neuro rehab in my spare time to pay for studies. I was nervous to work with people with multiple sclerosis and other neurological disorders...because it was far from the mental health world that I knew and was comfortable with. However, I soon realized that 90% of what I was doing was similar to my past work. I was setting goals with clients, talking about living with chronic health conditions, and implementing new ways to cope and thrive. From Montreal, I moved to Toronto where I started working as a post-doctoral fellow at the Centre for Addictions and Mental Health. Finally - a surprise twist took us to Vancouver for family reasons. My husband and I were able to find dream jobs here and decided to stay. I am now an Assistant Professor at UBC in the Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy and a Scientist at the Center for Health Evaluation & Outcome Sciences (CHEOS) at St. Paul’s Hospital. I lead a research program evaluating the recovery needs of Canadians with mental illness and have the privilege of working with clinicians, clients, families, and government to improve the health of my community.  This includes working with a terrific team from the BC-Integrated Youth Health Initiative and Providence Health to enhance the quality of care for young adults. As the new kid in Vancouver, these communities have supported me immensely and I look forward to working alongside them for many years.

What has been your most interesting job?
I would say I have my most interesting job right now! I am currently working on a project to implement and evaluate a new model of supported employment for young adults with mental illness. I get to work alongside community members from the YMCA, business leaders, clinical staff from Providence Health, and the coolest young humans in the city. I have learned so much about communication, patient-oriented research, program evaluation and what is needed to implement sustainable change.

What do you find most challenging about working as an OT?
The think I find most challenging is constantly justifying what our profession is. We are diverse and specialize in so many areas. This is great for our profession - but also confusing to the public. I have learned to deliver the same consistent message across disciplines and fields. It is interesting to learn about what other people think our profession is. It motivates me to offer clarification….but also motivates me to consider new ways that OT can grow and contribute.

What do you think will change/shape practice over the next five years?
Metrics! We do great things…..but most of us are poor at measuring what we do and sharing this knowledge with our communities. We have such a potential to mobilize change in people’s lives. OT optimizes health, function, quality of life, and so many other important outcomes for individuals with disabilities and their families. I think if we can start to measure this, and document the effectiveness of OT more systematically, we can raise the profile of our profession in the province and beyond. Whether it is measuring a client’s level of participation through the use of a time-use diary, or showing how a client improves on the recovery ruler, metrics are key. The outcomes our “health” system collects are mostly based on impairment and illness. If we can systematically show how we are improving the health of Canadians with disabilities through increased participation and quality of life, we can make a strong case for investment in occupational therapy. We have the perfect political climate right now to do this and I look forward to working with the OTs in the province to talk about meaningful metrics.

Tell me about someone who has influenced your OT practice?
I have had many great OT leaders and mentors support me in my journey - including Terry Krupa, Carol Mieras, and Catherine Backman. However, the person who has influenced me the most was a client I worked with from 2004-2007. He was one of the most challenging people I had ever met. Despite some serious barriers, we had tremendous success. However, in the end, the world was just not fit for him. His early departure hit me hard. It was at that point that I realized that mental illness was much more than an individual impairment. My community was also broken. I realized how far we had to go to decrease stigma and increase opportunities for all citizens to thrive. I have worked with many clients and families in the 14 years- but the initials of this client remain etched on my soul. He challenged me as a person and challenged our profession to make the impossible possible. He was not a pleasant human and many were offset by his abruptness.  But deep down he was passionate and unbelievably intelligent. He taught me to dig my heels in the ground and find solutions.  He stripped my naivety away and made me a realist. He taught me that health was both an individual and community outcome. Most of all, he reminded me daily that I was privileged to be an OT, and with this privilege, came responsibility. I have kept these lessons close to my heart my whole career and will never forget this person.


No comments:

Post a Comment