Wednesday 31 January 2018

cOnnecT with Kris Kent


Interview with Kris Kent, Marketing Committee Co-Chair for CAOT Conference 2018 


Why did you choose OT as a career?
I selected occupational therapy due to its holistic approach to wellness and recovery.  It offers numerous opportunities for creativity within a respected discipline founded in science, research, and innovation.  Looking to the future, the profession offers extensive opportunities for specialization and mastery, presenting clinicians on-going avenues for continued learning, development, and growth.

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?
My favourite thing about CAOT-BC are the opportunities available for networking within the profession and forums to share expertise and local resources. Furthermore, CAOT-BC also lists many of the events happening throughout the year, offering a great resource to identify opportunities to network and collaborate with colleagues within my interest areas.

What has surprised you most about working as an OT?
I have been surprised by the amount of personal and professional growth I have gone through over my first few years of practice. Using a reflective practice and connecting with mentors and colleagues has been an integral part of my development, and I encourage my peers to explore similar opportunities in their work.

What do you like about OT?
What I love about OT is the privilege to make purposeful changes in people's lives, and at times I have been awestruck by the power of the human spirit and resilience in the face of adversity. Seeing progress, no matter how big or small is quite possibly the most motivating part of working as an OT. Although it may sound a little cliché, at the end of the day my clients are what keep me engaged and passionate about my work.

What might someone be surprised to know about you?
Over this past summer, I surprised some of my family and friends by completing the West Coast Trail. Accompanied by my partner, we took in the stunningly beautiful scenery along the 80-kilometer coastal trail on Vancouver Island. Highlights included spotting a pod of orcas, identifying an array of animal footprints, refreshing swims in the Pacific Ocean, and searching the night sky for shooting stars while listening to the campfire crackle on the beach.

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?
I would encourage them to learn as much about the profession as possible. Get familiarized with the diverse range of practice areas and environments, interview or shadow a couple of OTs, and do some volunteering working with people. If OT continues to resonate with their interest and passions, I would say go for it! OT is a rewarding profession that offers a wonderful lifestyle, with flexibility, autonomy, high employability, and continuous opportunities for lifelong learning.

What do you do when you aren't working and volunteering?
When I am not working or volunteering I enjoy spending time outside with my dog, being active and social, travelling to new places, or exploring my curious nature by trying new activities.    

#OT365

No comments:

Post a Comment