Friday 23 February 2018

cOnnecT with Talia Budlovsky


Interview with Talia Budlovsky, Social Committee member for CAOT Conference 2018 

Why did you choose OT as a career?
Health care kind of runs in my family, and has provided with me with career direction for over half of my life. I had my “eureka” moment when I was volunteering on an early psychosis unit at a hospital in Montreal, and was introduced to the OT who was running a life skills group. She had the residents engaged in a way that I hadn’t seen before, running programs that were meaningful and that had relevance to a life outside of the hospital walls. What originally drew me to health care – a sense of meaning in helping the sick and injured get better – was now enhanced with the knowledge that a career exists that does far more than just help people get better, but enables them to adapt and thrive. I haven’t looked back.

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?
As a recent grad, CAOT-BC has provided me with professional development opportunities that help me develop my competencies in my areas of interest. I know that being an OT means being a lifelong learner, and I really appreciate how easy, and accessible CAOT-BC makes this for their members.

What do you find most challenging about working as an OT?
The lack of public knowledge and understanding about our profession is one of the most challenging aspect of working as an OT. However, I am trying to embrace this knowledge gap as an opportunity to inform and educate my clients, their families, and other professionals about the value we add to rehabilitation. Recently, when trying to establish a therapeutic relationship with a client, I found myself  having to explain OT in a variety of ways – and this was really frustrating – but finally it clicked, and that was a huge reward.

You are a volunteer for CAOT-BC, why do you do it?
I’m currently volunteering as a social committee member for the upcoming CAOT Conference in Vancouver. As a student delegate last year, I was so impressed with the passion and planning that went into the Charlottetown conference. I am a proud born-and-bred Vancouverite, and OT, so I’m excited to help plan what will be an awesome weekend.

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?
Do it! It’s a rewarding, dynamic, and challenging job with endless opportunity. Additionally, it seems to attract the most wonderful people. I have been privileged to go to school with, be mentored by, and work with passionate and generous people who love their jobs, and truly “practice what they preach.” It’s a job that constantly reminds you to be present, be grateful for what you have, and to make changes when something isn’t working. I am so happy that I chose this career and I am so excited to see what it has in store for me.

What do you do when you aren't working and volunteering?
I love to be active, and you can often find me running the seawall or North Shore trails, although right now I’m definitely more inclined to search out some snow. I’m getting married this year, so wedding planning is in full force! But on any given night, you’ll find me at home cooking (or being cooked for!), playing games with friends, or catching up on the latest Netflix series. 

#OT365

No comments:

Post a Comment