Wednesday 28 March 2018

cOnnecT with Theresa Wong


Interview with Theresa Wong, Volunteer Committee Co-Chair for CAOT Conference 2018

Why did you choose OT as a career?
My younger sister required years of speech therapy as a child and I spent many of my afternoons wandering the hallways in GF Strong Rehab Centre while waiting for her. I recall peering into treatment rooms and even very occasionally sitting through my sister’s therapy sessions. When it came time to choose a career, I knew that I wanted to be in the field of rehabilitation. I wanted a career that would allow me flexibility and creativity, so occupational therapy was a good fit.

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?
I think that CAOT-BC has done a brilliant job at promoting occupational therapy through their social media presence, in addition to lobbying efforts.  Through the regular email updates, I feel more connected with the OT community in BC.

Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?
I started practising in acute care and then transitioned to private practice settling, working as a clinician and manager.  I have also worked as a Quality Assurance Supervisor at WorkSafeBC.  I was looking for some more work-life flexibility and I have recently returned to private practice.

What is your personal philosophy about volunteering and giving back to the profession?
Occupational therapy has given me so much as a career and I feel strongly about giving back to the profession. Volunteering has allowed me to learn and develop new skills and meet new people. (A big thank you to all the OTs who have volunteered for the 2018 CAOT conference in Vancouver.)

What might someone be surprised to know about you?
When I graduated from university, some of my friends joked that I wouldn’t last more than 5 years in the profession sensing that I would become bored. 

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?
Go for it! Occupational therapy is an extremely rewarding profession. I am extremely proud that my niece has followed in my footsteps and she is in her first year of the MOT program at UBC.

What do you think will change/shape practice over the next five years?
I think that occupational therapists will always have a role in traditional hospital and rehabilitation based settings, but I feel that there will be expansion of occupational therapy into non-traditional roles. There is a growing potential for occupational therapy to take a role in primary care, however, current funding models remains a barrier. Lobbying for change by occupational therapists is critical, but I also feel that occupational therapists have to look beyond traditional clinical roles and take on leadership roles in health care. Occupational therapists have the prerequisite skills to take on leadership roles and can add their voice to decision making in health care.  

What do you do when you aren't working and volunteering?
I am busy with my family and pets.  I enjoy running and have completed several marathons albeit v-e-r-y slowly.


#OT365

No comments:

Post a Comment