As of March 5th, 2018 the Enhanced Road Assessment (ERA) is in operation at 81 ICBC locations across BC. The Enhanced Road Assessment (ERA) is an assessment which evaluates a driver’s functional ability to drive and informs RoadSafetyBC’s decision to maintain, re-issue, restrict or cancel a driver’s licence. This assessment will be provided to drivers with medical conditions who previously would have completed an ICBC re-examination or a DriveABLE assessment.
What do you need to know? The ERA will:
- Be administered by ICBC driving examiners.
- Extend the current ICBC re-examination drive time to 45 minutes from 30 minutes.
- Incorporate new components to mimic the cognitive workload of real world driving. The focus remains on maintaining safe driving skills at all times.
- Eliminate the in-office, computer-based screening that’s currently part of the DriveABLE assessment. Instead, ICBC driver examiners will gradually increase the complexity of driving tasks and will provide a break and feedback midway through.
- Let drivers use their own vehicles.