Wednesday 27 June 2018

cOnnecT with Michael Coss



Michael Coss is a brain injury survivor, recipient of the 2012 Courage to Come Back award, and author of The Courage to Come Back: Triumph Over TBI - A Story of Hope.

Describe your experience with occupational therapy. Has there been anything unique and/or different about this experience as compared to your experience with other health care professionals?
My experience with occupational therapy has been very rewarding and has allowed me to become more independent to one day becoming semi-independent. Right now, I live in a 24-hour care home, but [in the future] I see myself living semi-independently and then fully independent. My hat goes off to my OT as she has taught me all of the skills on how to work towards [my goals], whether it be cooking, making my bed, or helping with my equipment needs. Now I work with my OT once a quarter working on cognitive skills, like budgeting, meal planning, and preparation. OT has been different because it teaches me the skills to be independent with my daily life.

Are there aspects of occupational therapy that have been important for you in your recovery?
Almost everything my OT has taught me or worked with me has been extremely important for my recovery and independence, for my confidence, and for me to go further as a human being. But if I had to pick one thing, it would be my cognitive skills.

What has been the most important thing occupational therapy has helped you do?
OT has given me the confidence to once again be independent. I am not at that goal yet, but I’m working towards it. It will happen one day, and she is helping me [to develop] the skills to work towards that goal and venture outside my comfort zone.

Has your experience with occupational therapy surprised you in any way? If so, please describe.
My experience with my OT has been nothing but a great one. I’m quite impressed with the vastness of [the occupational therapy scope] which includes, self-care, budgeting, cooking skills, transportation, and future goals moving forward. Nothing has thrown me any curve balls, but it has surprised me by the way that [occupational therapy] has taught me all the skills to one day [become] fully independent. After my injury in 2006 [the] doctors said I would never be able to speak, eat, or walk again. [But] my OT has built my confidence and allowed me to do more things for myself like dress, to walk, to cook, and to do all of the skills required to be independent. [For example] now I am in charge of my own budgeting. My OT has set me up with a budgeting template to track all of my weekly expenses so that allows me to live within my means.

As a health-care user, what is something that you want health care professionals to know about you?
If I had to say one thing about myself, it would be that anything is possible when you believe and that there is light at the end of tunnel. [What] I would say to everyone is many thanks for helping me achieve new heights in my recovery, I am very grateful. [As well as] share my story of recovery to give hope and inspiration to others.

What would be your advice to someone starting their recovery journey?
My advice to anyone just starting their journey of recovery is that it’s not going to be an easy process. It is going to be a long and hard battle. Like now, I am 12 years post injury and I continue to make progress to this day. It is small progress, but it is still progress. I would [also] say that anything is possible when you believe. When you set your mind to achieving certain goals you [envision] yourself doing things. For example, when I go to bed at night I envision myself walking with each of my children to the park hand-in-hand. It’s not going to be an easy process, but it’s an achievable process.

What has been your biggest motivator through your recovery process?
My biggest motivators have been my two children as they give me joy, [and a] purpose to fight for everything, step by step, inch by inch, breath by breath. When I wake up in the morning, everything I do is because of them. But also, my parents. My father was the one who did hours of research to discover all of the various alternative therapies that have allowed me to come out of my coma and continue to make progress to this day.

What is your personal philosophy?
Hard work really pays off.

What do you do in your spare time?
Most of my day is spent doing rehab activities. But in my spare time I go on my computer to touch base with friends and family members through email or Facebook. I visit my children once a week for dinner to see how their week was, watch my children play sports, take them out for a bite to eat, attend their school plays. Although I am still very involved with my rehab, I am still as involved in their lives as much as I can be. 

Interview by Meredith Blinkhorn, fieldwork student with CAOT-BC.

#OT365

No comments:

Post a Comment