Wednesday 29 August 2018

cOnnecT with Ashleyn Sarowa


Interview with Ashleyn Sarowa, University of Alberta representative for the CAOT-BC Advisory Committee.


Why did you choose occupational therapy as a career?
During my undergraduate degree, I was lucky enough to have had the opportunity to meet an OT and she taught me a lot about the OT role. I was really intrigued by the many practice settings and different populations that I could potentially work in as an OT.  Another aspect that was very appealing to me was the holistic approach that OT’s embody in their practice. Through my personal and professional experiences, I came to admire applying a holistic approach to health care.
What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?
CAOT-BC not only advocates for OTs in BC, but it shares important BC-specific information and provides continuing educational opportunities that are easily accessible online. These factors are a great help to out-of province students like myself as I wish to come back to BC to practice after I graduate. I also like that it connects OTs throughout the province.
What has surprised you most about working as an OT?
I am currently completing my first placement in school to become an OT. One thing that has surprised me the most about OT is how innovative we need to be.  There have been many times in my placement where we discover that there is more to address than just the reason for referral. I enjoy that we are able to think creatively and holistically to determine the best possible solutions to help our clients.
You are a volunteer for CAOT-BC, why do you do it?
As I am an out of province student, I wanted to gain more insight into the factors affecting BC OT practitioners, and have the opportunity to connect with OTs in BC. I also wanted to achieve a greater understanding of how the association continues to advocate and support the OT profession in BC. Overall, I really believe that volunteering with CAOT-BC will help me become better prepared once I return to work in BC.
What might someone be surprised to know about you?
I come from a big basketball family and I had played for over 10 years. In my grade 12 year, my team won the BC girls provincial championship. I went on to play basketball post-secondary for one year.
What do you do when you aren't studying and volunteering?
During my free time, I love to get outdoors. I played many different sports throughout my child and teen years and enjoy getting outside to play basketball, volleyball and go hiking. I also like to watch educational documentaries, read and cook.
#OT365

No comments:

Post a Comment