Wednesday 30 October 2019

cOnnecT with Katie Lee Bunting

Interview with CAOT-BC Occupation in Practice Network chair, Katie Lee Bunting.


Why did you choose occupational therapy as a career?
My undergrad was in plant ecology- not necessarily an intuitive leap to occupational therapy. For my last term of my undergrad, I did a study abroad program in Kenya. I travelled and camped with Canadian and Kenyan faculty and other Canadian undergrad students across Kenya, while taking ecology, archeology, and anthropology courses. I was immersed in experiential learning and realised how much I was energized by working with and learning from people. I came back to Vancouver and knew that I wanted to pursue a profession where I could continue that work. I volunteered and worked with L’Arche, an organization for persons with intellectual disabilities, and knew I wanted to work in healthcare. Fortunately, my aunt is an occupational therapist (now retired) and she saw in me an alignment with occupational therapy. And she was right! Looking back on it now, my interest in ecology really resonates with the holistic view of occupational therapy J

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?
I love the community of CAOT-BC and feeling connected to my fellow occupational therapists. CAOT-BC works tirelessly with this community to advocate for occupational therapy, deliver continuing education, and build connections to improve practice through the practice networks. I love reading about what other occupational therapists are doing and just feel so blown away and inspired by the extraordinary work being done! It’s such a fantastic resource and I recommend all occupational therapists to join. I’m just very grateful for CAOT-BC’s work and to be a part of this community!

Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?
I’m a curious person and like to feel the pressure of being challenged a bit outside of my comfort zone. I’ve also moved between B.C. and Ontario and back again since I became an occupational therapist. So, I have worked in quite a few areas! Adult inpatient specialized mood disorders at UBC; adult ortho-trauma and orthopedic surgery at VGH; emergency medicine and sub-acute care at Delta Hospital; community-based and school-based in Georgian Bay, Ontario; in child and youth mental health on a family health team in Georgian Bay, Ontario; and at B.C. Children’s Hospital as a casual occupational therapist across their physical medicine programs and in their mental health programming with the specialized eating disorders programs, inpatient adolescent psychiatry program, and child psychiatry program. I’ve also worked as a research assistant on projects through OSOT UBC and University of Toronto and as a research coordinator with OSOT UBC. I now work as an Instructor with the department of OSOT at UBC and love it!

What do you like about OT?
Since I was introduced to occupation through occupational science research as a student, I continuously find it a fascinating concept and feel so fortunate to be able to teach it to student occupational therapists. My occupational perspective is unshakable and I’m so grateful for it. We can engage in occupations to better our health and well-being, to build community, and to leave the world a better place. We can also engage in occupations that jeopardize our health, hurts others, and destroy the planet. As occupational therapists, we have the knowledge, skills, and responsibility to understand both of these realities and to work collaboratively with individuals, families, communities to realise the health-promoting, restorative, and sustainable effects of occupational engagement.

Tell me about someone who has influenced your OT practice?
My aunt Barbara O’Shea is a total badass occupational therapist! She is tenacious and unapologetically determined in her belief of the value and need for occupational therapy. She founded the program at Dalhousie University and has been instrumental in establishing programs across the world. She was given an honorary doctorate from Dalhousie University a few years ago and that accomplishment is just extraordinary. I try my best to challenge her drive and determination in seeing occupational therapy achieve its potential to change the world.

What do you do when you aren't working and volunteering?
I am fortunate to have a full life with my husband Mark, our two young daughters, Willa and Annabel, and our dog Sid. I love the creativity of baking and cooking, and like to do these with my girls. While I’m not a camper (though it’s on my list!), I love spending time outdoors. Nature is such a gift, and a precious one that I am so acutely aware of with our current crisis of climate change. So, I try to get outside as often as possible and bring my girls along, whether it’s in our garden, tending to our vegetable patch, or exploring the many green spaces and urban forests in and around where we live. To see nature’s beauty up close makes you care more, feel a responsibility and duty to do what we can to stop climate change. I want to instill that respect and responsibility in my children. I also like to watch TV, listen to music, and enjoy a nice glass of wine!

#OT365

No comments:

Post a Comment