Wednesday 24 February 2021

cOnnecT with Nicole Carlson

 


Interview with Nicole Carlson, UBC MOT I Representative for the CAOT-BC Advisory Committee

Why did you choose occupational therapy as a career?
While completing my undergraduate degree at the University of Calgary I was working as a caregiver for individuals with neuromuscular disorders and had the opportunity to see occupational therapists work with these individuals. I loved the client-centeredness of occupational therapy and how it’s something that could truly benefit people of all ages and abilities. I enjoyed watching the occupational therapist collaborate with the client and their family to develop ways to help individuals get back to doing occupations that were important and meaningful to them. I spent the rest of my undergraduate degree shadowing occupational therapists in a variety of settings such as schools, hospitals, and community settings, and was accepted into the Masters of Occupational Therapy at UBC in 2020. I am looking forward to the next two years in the program and entering the workforce in 2022!

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?
I love that CAOT-BC is a community for me to connect with other occupational therapists and learn about what my future fellow occupational therapists are doing in the province. I enjoy reading about and learning from other occupational therapists through CAOT-BC to understand how and where occupational therapy is being used. CAOT-BC also gives me the opportunity to develop my skills through the variety of educational opportunities available and is always advocating for occupational therapists - I appreciate this! 

What do you like about occupational therapy?
Occupational therapy is personalized - it is developed in collaboration with the person and for the person. Occupational therapy uses what one wants and needs to do, and finds ways to get one back to doing these important occupations and sometimes even new occupations! I like that occupational therapy requires us to be creative and think outside the box - it keeps me on my toes and always open to learning from my clients, occupational therapists, and other healthcare professionals. 

What might someone be surprised to know about you?
I was born and raised in Dallas, Texas and moved to Calgary by myself when I was 18 years old. I spent the first 5 years living in Calgary working and completing my undergraduate degree at the University of Calgary. In 2020, I moved to Vancouver to pursue my Masters in Occupational Therapy and am loving the west coast!

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?
Do it!!! Occupational therapy is exciting - it’s always changing as new research emerges and best practices are developed; we are lifelong learners! Because occupational therapy takes a client-centered approach, we learn not only from our colleagues but from the individuals we work with. Since occupational therapy can benefit anyone, we also have the opportunity to work in a variety of settings and with a diversity of clients - so it’s never boring! 

What do you do when you aren't studying and volunteering?
When I am not working or volunteering I enjoy spending my time outdoors. Whether it’s running, biking, hiking, skiing, snowshoeing - really anything that gives me an excuse to be in nature and explore the green spaces that British Columbia has to offer. 

#OT365

No comments:

Post a Comment