Monday 22 November 2021

Connect with a Colleague: Megan Widmer

 

Megan Widmer 

Congratulations to Megan for being the 2021 recipient of the Dianna Mah-Jones Memorial Grant for Innovation!

Why did you choose occupational therapy as a career?

I spent one year following my undergrad working behind the scenes of healthcare in the patient quality world. Although this is an important and impactful part of our health care system, I quickly realized that I wanted to be at the frontlines working directly with people and making a real time difference in people’s lives. I appreciated the diversity an OT career can offer and knew by pursuing this career I was signing up to be a lifelong learner and is has yet to disappoint!

Congratulations on receiving a CAOT-BC grant! Tell us about how you have/will use this grant?

I am very grateful to have received this grant and have put the funding towards a course I took in June 2021 by Mary Warren; Visual Processing Impairment I – Evaluation and Intervention for Adult Acquired Brain Injury. I have been able to apply the knowledge gained from this course in my day-to-day work on the Acute Stroke Unit at Surrey Memorial Hospital. This course was helpful in developing my understanding of visual processing impairment and has led to more targeted assessment, treatment, and education for the patient’s I have with visual processing impairments secondary to brain injury.

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?

As a recent OT graduate, I have found the resources CAOT-BC offers to be very helpful! CAOT-BC also offers a sense of community and connection to OTs across the province. I enjoy reading articles and being reminded of the impact OTs have in various sectors throughout BC.

What do you like about occupational therapy?

In my current role on the Acute Stroke Unit, I feel honoured to be part of someone’s journey during a critical point in their lives where health care workers have a profound impact. I also enjoy working with people in functional ways to understand impairments and enjoy pushing myself to be creative to find individualized interventions or adaptations. I am proud to be an OT where our practice allows us to advocate for our patients and truly work collaboratively to achieve desirable outcomes.

Tell me about someone who has influenced your occupational therapy practice?

I have been fortunate to work with a wonderful interdisciplinary team on the acute hospital I began my OT career in. Working closely with my colleagues, I have learnt from fellow OTs, PTs, RAs, SLPs, and many other disciplines that have helped to shape and develop my practice. I have been fortunate to have the mentorship of Surb Atwal during my journey training as a neuro OT. Surb’s passion for neurology and depth of knowledge has taught me vast amounts and inspired me to pursue learning opportunities and become the best OT I can be.

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?

From a perspective of a newer graduate, becoming an OT means signing up for a fulfilling career with countless opportunities. Through both school and the workplace, I have met incredible people who have supported me and offered guidance. The client centred focus of OT makes the profession unique and allows us to connect with and advocate for patient’s best interests. Although I am just beginning my journey as an OT I would recommend it to anyone passionate about making a true difference in the lives of others.

What do you do when you aren't (working, studying, volunteering)?

I love being outside and adventuring through this beautiful place we call home! I recently completed two backcountry hiking adventures exploring the Rockwall Trail in Kootenay National Park and Mount Assiniboine Provincial Park. I also play a sport called Netball which is less known to most Canadians, but a very fun and teamwork-based sport!




No comments:

Post a Comment