Wednesday 22 December 2021

Connect with a Colleague: Linda Waithman

 


Linda Waithman 

Why did you choose occupational therapy as a career?

When I think back, I think OT chose ME as my life’s path, as opposed to the other way around. I feel very fortunate that I learned about OT as early as when I was 16 years old, when I had a hand injury and needed to see an OT for a customized hand splint. I remember seeing the OT in the St. Paul’s hand therapy unit, and I can specifically remember her talking so passionately about the love she had for her work. I also had a close family friend who became an OT several years before me, and I just KNEW that this was the profession for me.

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?

CAOT-BC works tirelessly to support OTs throughout the entire province, as well as across all of the varied environments in which OTs work. From private practice, to acute care and long term care, CAOT-BC is making sure that OTs are at the forefront of conversations around evolving healthcare in a positive way. I know that I can count on CAOT-BC to ensure that increased meaningful access and awareness of OT is continually at the forefront of the minds of the relevant stakeholders in our province.

Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?

I love thinking about my career and how it has evolved very naturally over the years. I have worked primarily in private practice for the past 20 years, which has given me countless varied opportunities to work with exceptional clients and colleagues, including other OTs. In 2020 (yes, mid-covid!), I co-founded LiNK Rehab, with 3 other incredible OTs. Our team of OTs, Administrative Staff, Rehabilitation Assistants and Kinesiologists feel like a family, and remind me daily: “I love my job!”

What has been your most interesting job?

Definitely being involved in co-founding LiNK Rehab. It has been one of the most terrifying and rewarding experiences of my life. I am forever grateful to have three other OTs by my side who have values that align so closely with mine. We founded LiNK Rehab to be a community rehab company that provides exceptional clinical support to our clients and referral sources, all the while having a work environment that promotes a work-life balance philosophy.

What do you find most challenging about working as an OT?

Such a great question. I can talk for days about how much I love being an OT, so it’s sometimes harder to take a pause a thinking about the challenges. For me, it’s definitely ‘the daily juggle’. I became an OT in private practice, in part, to be able to have some amount of flexibility to be a mom and spend lot’s of time with my kids. This has proved to be one of the most amazing gifts for me. It has also, however, proven to be a challenge ;-)! I have a daily task of getting as close to balance as possible with work and family. This is not always easy!

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?

I’ve heard this one before…but for sure it would be…”Just do it!” I can talk and talk about the joy that being an OT has brought into my professional and personal life. If anyone ever approaches my about being an OT, I always say that if they want a rewarding career that aligns with values such as: doing, being, helping, supporting, and challenging, then they should just do it!

What do you think will change/shape practice over the next five years?

Covid-19 is continuing to re-shape our world. We are living through a historical pandemic and this is most definitely going to continue to impact us. As OTs, I believe that our training provides us with the perfect opportunity to demonstrate our adaptability and creativity at being able to continue to provide our clients with the highest level of assessment and treatment, all the while adhering to covid precautions. Of course, this means increasing the use of technology and video-conferencing, which has in my anecdotal experience increased and improved access!

What do you do when you aren't working?

I absolutely love spending time with my 3 young children and family.  We ski in the winter and bike in the summer, play music (piano and guitar) in between! We are counting down the days to the holidays and snow!



No comments:

Post a Comment