Wednesday 26 January 2022

Connect with a colleague - Bethany McWilliams

Bethany McWilliams 

Why did you choose occupational therapy as a career?

I studied therapeutic recreation in my undergrad studies and spent the past ten years working as a recreational therapist in different capacities and settings.  I have truly loved this work of supporting people with disabilities in kicking down barriers that may prevent them from accessing play and leisure and wanted to build on the foundational knowledge I gained in my undergrad.  I consider myself a lifelong learner, so the opportunity to go back to school has been extremely exciting for me.  Occupational therapy felt like a natural progression, as it would allow me to continue with work I am passionate about, while also expanding my scope and providing me with a new lens to see through.  I am just wrapping up my first term in the MOT program at UBC and so far I am feeling very good about this decision!

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?

I appreciate how CAOT-BC welcomes student representatives from UBC’s MOT program to join for their Advisory Committee meetings as a way to stay informed on how best to support us students during our studies as well as to have a better idea of how to support students through graduation and transitioning into our careers. 

What was the journey to becoming an OT student like for you?

Not easy, but definitely worth it.  I am from the states, so getting into the program was only part of the challenge.  I then navigated the complexities of student visas, uprooted my family and made an international move to lovely British Columbia!  We are still settling in and adjusting to life in the big city, though I am excited for the opportunity to be here, learning at such an excellent university and also getting to travel all over BC for my fieldwork placements these next couple of years.  What a treat!

What has been your most interesting job?

My most interesting job was working as the special needs coordinator for a gymnastics equipment company called Tumbl Trak.  This was one of those positions that I never envisioned myself in, but one I had so much fun with it!  The position allowed me to support children of all abilities in accessing play opportunities, but my approach was very different from the direct care I was used to providing.  I worked very much behind the scenes in helping to develop a therapeutic equipment line that supports sensory motor development and play for children with disabilities.  I collaborated with professionals across the United States in the research and development phase of each product: adapted physical education teachers, occupational therapists, physical therapists, special education teachers, etc.  It was these interactions with occupational therapists that really drew me into the profession.  I was mesmerized when the OTs would take a piece of equipment and immediately recognize how the surface material would encourage arousal, or how the shape could allow for external rotation of the hips, or how the movement might impact the diaphragm, thus improving vocalization.  I learned so much from my OT colleagues in this work and it left me feeling eager to learn more.  I wanted to look at a situation and be able to see what they see!

What do you like about occupational therapy?

I’m going to answer this less about occupational therapy as a whole, and more specifically about my experience in the MOT program thus far at UBC. One of the things I have most appreciated about the program has been the emphasis that the professors have placed on things like…

- Understanding the history of OT and our western healthcare system

- Recognizing who’s voices are centered (and who’s aren’t) when developing things like assessments, policies, etc.

- Being aware of how context and the environment influence and shape occupation

- The urgent need for decolonizing the healthcare system

- Being mindful of our own biases and how these show up in our work

- Recognizing and working toward eliminating some of the power imbalances within our relationships with clients

Our professors have done an excellent job of modeling accountability and fostering critical reflexivity.  I love that as occupational therapists these are all things we are looking at and considering within our work in order to provide collaborative, individualized and equitable services!

What do you do when you aren't working, studying or volunteering?

My most meaningful occupation is mountain biking with my husband.  I also enjoying playing in the forest with my dog (a really sweet and stinky 11-year-old American Staffordshire Terrier), paddle boarding on alpine lakes, car-camping/backpacking, geeking out over wildflowers, attempting to garden, finding a new craft to fall into and then fall out of, and playing with my four nieces and nephews.


No comments:

Post a Comment