Wednesday 23 March 2022

Connect with a Colleague: Jody Edamura

Jody Edamura 

Why did you choose occupational therapy as a career?

I wanted a career with various job options and areas of interest that would keep me motivated and inspired. Occupational therapy had those opportunities. Over the years, I have connected with a diverse spectrum of people and shared their stories of innovation with colleagues, students and clients throughout my professional career.

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?

I appreciate my Northern Community of Practice network that CAOT-BC has provided. The telehealth space opened up our network and united us in the northern and rural regions. It enabled us to exchange information about our current health, clinical, and educational updates relevant to our regions.

Also, I appreciate the online CAOT webinars. The OT speakers were accessible and aided us in professional development, especially during this pandemic.

Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?

I started my career in Toronto working at the Orthopaedic and Arthritic hospital in a program that focused on disability assessments, return to work plans and functional capacity evaluations. In addition to this, I also assisted clients in post-op recovery from total and partial hip replacements.

My initial goal was to work in Vancouver; however, life had other plans and I landed a job in Prince George (PG) where I have spent the last 23 years growing my career.

I began work in the acute and community mental health sectors and then I made a career change to work in paediatrics at the Prince George Child Development Centre (CDC). Currently, I work in early intervention and school age therapies in PG, McBride and Valemount with a fantastic team of paediatric professionals. Then, I had a brief hiatus from Canada and spent time in sunny California gaining experience working in the school districts and understanding their health care system; however, life events led me back to PG, where I continue to appreciate working at the CDC and helping the UBC OSOT department develop the Northern Rural program.

What do you like about occupational therapy?

I am thankful that it’s a profession that is willing to pivot and evolve with the growing needs of health care. I am excited to see occupational therapists expand their expertise in new leadership roles and emerge in non-traditional areas. Our abilities to listen, reflect and exchange our viewpoints makes occupational therapists such excellent problem-solvers.

What is your personal philosophy about volunteering and giving back to the profession?

I received such memorable mentorships from other OTs and health care professions. Their personal and clinical contributions have led me to where I am today and assisted me in becoming who I am. I am happy to pay it forward and give back to our OT community.

What do you do when you aren't working?

I am eating…I am a huge foodie fan and enjoy spending time with my family and friends eating meals that we have built together. Food is such a social connector and I am always on the hunt for the ultimate “umami” blast. Yum :) 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment