Tuesday 7 June 2022

Connect With a Colleague: Dr. Jill Zwicker

 

Dr. Jill Zwicker

Why did you choose occupational therapy as a career?

Although I had dreamed of being a doctor since I was 4 years old, I realized during my first year of university that this career path wasn’t for me. My favourite courses were anatomy and psychology, so I wanted to find a career that integrated these areas of study. I stumbled across occupational therapy, did some volunteer work with some generous OTs who allowed me to shadow and work with them, and was hooked. This was the career for me!

 

What led you to your interest in DCD research?

During my work as a school-based occupational therapist, I saw children on my caseload who struggled with written work or other motor skills, such as P.E. or playing at recess. They seemed to have so much potential but were misunderstood, often being considered “lazy” or “noncompliant” because they refused to complete written work, withdrew from physical activity, or experienced immense frustration at school. My heart went out to them because their self-esteem seemed to be adversely affected. I wanted to learn more about why these kids struggled to learn motor skills and how I could better help them. They received very little OT service or support at school, but I felt that a little bit of intervention would go a long way. It was my clinical interest that sparked my journey into graduate studies, and my ultimate research career.

 

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC? 

I am especially grateful for CAOT-BC and their lobbying efforts to improve access to OT for residents of British Columbia. I also appreciate the special interest groups that bring together therapists in different areas of practice to learn with and from each other.

 

Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now? 

I worked for 6 weeks as a casual occupational therapist at Victoria General Hospital before I landed my first permanent position in acute rehab at the Royal Jubilee Hospital. This experience helped me to secure my dream job at Gorge Road Hospital for the next 10 years, working first on an in-patient stroke unit and then in out-patient brain injury rehab. In 2002, I transitioned to pediatric practice and worked in the School-Age Program at Queen Alexandra Centre for Children’s Health. After my graduate studies and postdoctoral fellowship, I became a Clinician Scientist at Sunny Hill Health Centre, an Investigator at BC Children’s Hospital, and a faculty member in the Department of Occupational Science & Occupational Therapy at the University of British Columbia. While I have loved all of my jobs as an occupational therapist, I now have the perfect job that combines clinical practice, teaching, and research.

 

What do you like about occupational therapy? 

Occupational Therapy is a wonderful profession for so many reasons. I especially appreciate the opportunity to establish relationships with clients, to understand what is important to them, and to play a small part in making a positive difference in their lives.

 

What do you find most challenging about working as an OT? 

I think the most challenging thing about working as an OT are the systemic barriers that prevent us from doing the job we want to do and that our clients deserve. I have decided that the status quo is not sufficient and I have targeted my research program to build the evidence base to advocate for better support and services for children with DCD and their families. It is a slow process, but definitely worth the effort. With patience and persistence, we can – and will – make a difference!

 

What is your personal philosophy about giving back to the profession? 

The profession has had such a positive influence in my life that it seems natural to give back to the profession. I think we all have a responsibility to contribute to the profession, but this can take many forms – from spending time with a prospective OT student to learn more about the profession, being a preceptor for a Master of Occupational Therapy student, teaching the next generation of occupational therapists, inspiring therapists to pursue further post-graduate study, developing and disseminating evidence for best-practice, submitting and/or reviewing abstracts for the CAOT conference, or promoting the profession.

 

What do you do when you aren't working? 

When I am not working, I enjoy spending time with family, socializing with friends, snuggling with my dogs, challenging myself at the gym, playing board games, and doing puzzles (jigsaws, Wordle, Suduko, etc.). My favourite vacation is soaking up the sun at poolside in Maui J


No comments:

Post a Comment