Wednesday 22 April 2015

cOnnecT with Iris Tung

Iris Tung: CAOT-BC Advisory Committee member (2014-2015 University of Alberta representative) 
Why did you choose OT as a career?


Growing up in Canada has taught me to appreciate how occupations are a vibrant part of living. Two years ago, I was given a life-changing experience to teach day camps in rural areas of China. This experience has helped me develop a supportive and holistic approach that fosters meaningful relationships with others. These relationships drive my enthusiasm for helping people reach their full physical potential to achieve their goals.  My interest in occupational therapy strengthened with my work experience at UBC OS&OT department as a research assistant developing various projects that foster participation of students with disabilities. This experience has inspired me to use evidence, and critical thinking skills in making a lifelong positive impact to the community. As I complete my last year at the University of Alberta's Occupational Therapy program, I will continue to cherish the freedom to explore, learn, and excel. My aim is to bring hope while working with all those around me to create possibilities.

What has been your most interesting job?

One of most enjoyable experience was working at the First Nations reserves for my first placement (Morinville and Rocky Mountain House) where I experienced a combination of phys med, mental health, pediatrics, palliative care and homecare. This experience has helped me learn the importance of listening and communicating with our clients and to treat them with empathy and respect. My second placement was in Surrey, BC at the Jim Pattison Outpatient Care and Surgery Centre where I gained experience working in the chronic pain ward, cardiac, lung health and neuro clinic. In the next few months, I am hoping to embark on international placements to further my skills and experience. I will continue to cherish the opportunity to encourage, inspire, and understand others as they are.

Why do you volunteer for CAOT-BC?

I am thankful for the opportunity to have served as a volunteer with the CAOT-BC Advisory Committee. Being a part of the CAOT-BC is a great way to connect with students and professionals. My hope was to bring an international voice for promoting OT and to improve people’s health and well-being.

What do you do when you aren't working or volunteering?

I am a seeker, learner, listener and lover.  Outside of school/work life, I love to go paddling, hiking, snowboarding, being active. Paddling allows me to clear my mind and to revel in creativity and enjoy life's beautiful moments. 

No comments:

Post a Comment