Friday 18 September 2015

cOnnecT with Mandy Gillick


Why did you choose OT as a career?

I was working part-time as a care aide back home in Ireland to fund my studies in Business and Languages, when I began to realise that I actually didn’t want to become an economist or interpreter and what I really wanted was to work with people.  I loved being able to help people solve problems and be independent with tasks in the residential home where I worked.  My aunt told me about occupational therapy when I asked her about her work as a mental health nurse.  After a little research and some job shadowing at my local hospital, I was sold!  Although I have worked in many areas of clinical practice, I have never looked back – it was a life changing decision.

Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?

I began working as an occupational therapist in London, UK.  I worked for a University Hospital Trust in East London where I gained experience in acute care, community learning disabilities, acute stroke rehabilitation and community stroke rehabilitation.  I then worked at The National Hospital for Neurology & Neurosurgery in London, where I worked with individuals with a wide variety of neurological conditions.  I loved learning more about how the neurological system worked and how it has such a big impact on everyday life.

Since moving to Canada, I have worked in the public health system for Vancouver Coastal Health and as a Consultant Occupational Therapist for Raincoast Community Rehabilitation Services.  The majority of my caseload involves community brain injury services and community occupational therapy services.  I have been very fortunate to learn about Canada’s First Nations communities in Northern B.C. through travelling and working with Raincoast Community Rehabilitation Services.  Working in B.C. has been an invaluable experience so far.


Can you tell us about someone who has influenced your practice?

While working in London, UK, I worked with a young gentleman who had sustained a brain injury following a hit and run accident.  He was taken to the emergency department and had several craniectomy’s to relieve the pressure from his brain.  When I began working with him in the inpatient setting, he was walking with close by supervision and he was assistance of one for all personal care.  During the three month period that I worked with this person, I began to truly understand the enormity of what had happened for him and the impact that it would have on his future.  Before his accident, he had a job, was studying, managing a local band and had a huge number of friends.  The accident would leave him with residual left sided weakness, left neglect and decreased attention and problem solving skills.  Despite the daily difficulties he faced with regards to task efficiency and frustration with his inattentive side, he kept working towards his goals.  Following his inpatient rehabilitation, he went from playing a guitar, to playing a harmonica.  He went from cycling, to competing in the Special Olympics rowing team.  He went through the stages of loss of the person he was and he created a life where he could continue to grow.  The greatest lesson that I learned was that of “self-efficacy” – which in plain language is the belief in one’s own abilities to do something.  It became apparent that he had an abundance of self-efficacy and it was what spurred him on to work towards his personal goals.  This experience lead me to analyze what are the long-term implications of high or low self-efficacy in our client’s and what is our role in facilitating self-efficacy and self-management. 

You are a CAOTBC volunteer. Why do you do it?

I am the current chair for the Internationally Educated Occupational Therapists (IEOTs) SIG.  I decided to start the group back in March 2015 to network with other IEOTs in BC and as a way to help those OTs wanting to work in Canada.  Having made the move over to Canada in 2014, I have been through the opportunities and challenges that many new IEOTs face and so I thought let’s give the group a go!  The group has really started to come together and we have a few exciting projects in the pipe line.  If you’re an IEOT and you haven’t joined us yet, please do! 
  
What would you tell someone who is thinking
about becoming an OT?

Speak to an OT.  Get an understanding of what the profession is all about.  Do some work shadowing and research.  There is so much information available out there and so many associations and colleges worldwide that anyone can gain a better understanding of OT. 


Occupational therapy is a great profession.  We are so lucky to be able to travel the world and work with so many different cultures and in a variety of health care settings.  If you enjoy interacting with others and helping people to do what is meaningful, you’ll enjoy your career as an OT.

No comments:

Post a Comment