Monday 25 July 2016

cOnnecT with Susan Forwell


Why did you choose OT as a career?
My first choice was speech pathology, until I observed an SLP working on a child’s “wuv” instead of “love” for 30 minutes.  I decided I couldn’t do that. I then considered a double major in psychology and physiology but in the course calendar immediately before was occupational therapy. So I fell on it. I knew nothing about OT, but reading about it I thought it sounded really interesting. So I talked to my Mom (she never steered me wrong and seemed wise about this sort of thing), and she thought that I would be better suited to OT instead of SLP.  I went into OT on this advice, but stayed in OT because I loved it.

Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?
I started as a clinical OT working in rehab for a couple of years with SCI patients and those with other neurological issues. I then travelled for a year with a pack on my back. Upon my return, I did a series of locums in different sites in Ontario and BC until landed in a full time job for 3 years as a senior OT in outpatient orthopaedics and neurology. I primarily worked on the neurology service and it exploded my interested in MS. I think that I always knew I was going to do graduate work, but when I went off to graduate school at USC I decided to do my research in MS. One thing led to another and I was doing workshops, all over the world in MS, giving talks and lectures, and sitting on editorial, consumer, and professional boards, all related to MS. I really got into the world of MS.
During that period, I took a 2-year contract position at UBC that seems to have turned into 25 years.  I love teaching students. I think that teaching is the most satisfying part of my job. I also very much enjoy research and the discovery of research because it allows me to work with patients. So those two pieces are really great. I have recently moved into the department head role which is interesting and allows me to advocate for OT in all sorts of different forums from the government to the public.

What has surprised you most about working as an OT?
How people fuss about the fact that OT is not well known to the general public.  It’s not an issue for me. Those people that have run into OTs or have needed OT for some reason whether for themselves, a family member, or a good friend, know exactly what OT does, and it’s highly valued. We, as a profession, need to get over that. Lots of people don’t know what actuaries are, and actuaries aren't fussing they're just getting on with it.
As long as we (as OTs) continue to make an impact every day on those that we work with, whether it be our patients, students, colleagues, or fellow team members, making an impact is what matters most. That is far more important then having a public relations profile with the masses.

What might someone be surprised to know about you?
That I am the sole proprietor of Aunt Suzie’s Dipsy Doodle Boot Camp where I have taught skiing to all my nieces and nephews and now I’m on to my grandchildren.

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?
I meet with a lot of people who are thinking about becoming an OT. I don’t tell them anything. I use my OT skills to explore what their interests are and to make sure it’s a good match for them. Really taking the time to follow their lead and answer their questions, wherever direction they may go, and provide additional information based on where they are at - at their just right challenge. I need to understand what the person’s motivation is.
I recently had a student come to me who told me that her dream was pursuing physical therapy, so I said that was great and I gave her information about physical therapy. At the end she told me that what she liked the most about her current degree in kinesiology was the psychology courses, and particularly those on the effects of mental health. So I suggested that she look into OT, and I talked about the difference between OT and PT as related to mental health. My interest was providing the right information to ensure the best match. I provide education, without telling people what to do.

What do you think will change/shape practice over the next five years?

A continued understanding that we need to be marketing our skills. As OTs, be articulate in what we have to offer our clients. 

By Nicole Matichuk, fieldwork student with CAOT-BC 

No comments:

Post a Comment