Wednesday 26 July 2017

cOnnecT with Karly Greczmiel


Interview with Karly Greczmiel, University of Alberta representative for the CAOT-BC Advisory Committee


A bit about Karly: I grew up in Richmond, BC and attended the University of British Columbia’s Okanagan campus in Kelowna for my undergraduate degree in Human Kinetics. I am currently wrapping up my first of two years in the MScOT program at the University of Alberta in Edmonton. 

Why did you choose OT as a career?
I believe the OT profession has everything one could ever want in a career. I deeply appreciate OT’s holistic lens and client-centeredness. Enabling clients’ personally and culturally relevant life activities is one of the most rewarding endeavours I could possibly imagine!

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?
I am especially thankful for their significant promotion and advocacy efforts on behalf of OTs to the provincial government and the public. CAOT-BC also shares important BC-related updates, continuing education opportunities and advocacy tools through electronic correspondence. These are extremely helpful for out-of-province students, such as myself, who are keen to live and work in BC after graduation.

You are a volunteer for CAOT-BC; Why do you do it?
As an OT student, I am very eager to gain a greater understanding of the associations that support OT practice. I’m also very interested in both the opportunities and challenges that affect BC practitioners so I can be more prepared when I enter the workforce.

What do you find most challenging about working/studying to be an OT?
One of the things I love most about OT is how effective the services can be across health care settings, diagnostic groups and the age continuum. This diverse mandate can make it difficult to study for the enormously wide range of clinical situations I may possibly encounter! I find solace in mentorship opportunities and continuing education opportunities disseminated by CAOT-BC, which will undoubtedly continue to help refine my skills in any setting in the future.

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?
Although my Human Kinetics background has been an enormous help as I train for this field, I have come to appreciate and celebrate the involvement OTs have in supporting the emotional, social and mental well-being of clients along with their physical health. In combination, I believe this multifaceted approach has a profound impact on clients’ lives.

What might someone be surprised to know about you?
I have my PADI Open Water Diver Scuba certificate. One of my favourite memories is going night-diving in the Galapagos Islands, looking for sharks and manta rays by the light of the moon (and a flashlight).

What do you do when you aren’t volunteering and studying?

When the weather is nice, I like to ride my bicycle or go for a walk along Edmonton’s beautiful network of trails in the River Valley. When the colder weather hits, nothing can beat a good book, a steaming cup of chai tea and a large window to watch the snow fall!

#OT365

No comments:

Post a Comment