Wednesday 26 September 2018

cOnnecT with Rishma Dhalla



Interview with incoming CAOT-BC Advisory Committee member Rishma Dhalla. 

Why did you choose OT as a career?
I happened upon occupational therapy in a serendipitous way (as have many of my OT colleagues) – my path was in a different trajectory, but in volunteering at UBC Hospital I learned about this amazing profession. I was intrigued by the idea of helping seniors stay safe in their homes, and….the rest is history!

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?
My favourite thing……oh it’s tough narrowing it down to just one.  But I would say that my favourite thing about CAOT-BC is that through their advocacy work and developing/enriching partnerships in BC, the O.T. profession is now one that many people have actually heard of, and not only that – it’s a profession that more and more people have had direct contact with. OTs are in demand in this province, and I believe it is a direct result of the work of CAOT-BC.

Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?
My 24+ year career has been amazing in its breadth and depth. I have been very blessed to have started out at St. Mary’s Hospital (for those of you who still remember it!) as a new grad, jumping from that to an intermediate care facility soon after, and then venturing into private practice while raising my firstborn. In 2000 I started at Langley Memorial Hospital in TCU, and soon after I helped to develop the Quick Response Team, in which I spent the next few years. In 2005, seniors’ fall prevention became a public health concern and that is when I joined Richmond Public Health in the Fall Prevention Program, which is where I currently work.  In 2015, my role was expanded to include the Healthy Heart Program.  My dips into private practice have continued over the years, and I am now very happily juggling work in the public and private sectors.

What do you like about OT?
I absolutely love the fact that I don’t ever have to leave the profession of OT to continue to grow and expand professionally.  I have been able to experience the seating and swallowing challenges faced in residential care, to the fast pace of Quick Response, to educating about stress management, to leading a fall prevention network and building community capacity, to organizing and running clinics, attending public events, and so much more!

You are a volunteer for CAOT-BC, why do you do it?
I volunteer for CAOT-BC because it is very important for me to give back to this profession that is such a wonderful fit to who I am as a person and has allowed me to grow and evolve in ways I could never have imagined. I take every volunteer opportunity to educate the public about who we are as occupational therapists and how we, along with other health care professionals, facilitate rehabilitation and recovery.

What is your personal philosophy about volunteering and giving back to the profession?
I believe it is my duty to give back to my profession, and I do so in various ways – by facilitating   interviews for prospective MOT students at UBC in my role as Clinical Faculty, by facilitating multi-disciplinary ethics workshops to first year students in the various health disciplines, by upgrading my education to ensure that I am providing best practice, and by attending any and all OT networking events.

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?
If you are thinking about becoming an OT, I would say, “Go for it! You will never regret it”.  This profession is so diverse and so versatile, so flexible and so rewarding, that over the course of your working life you will have options for growth that hopefully will mitigate any “rut” you may be fearful of falling into.

What do you think will change or shape practice over the next five years?
I believe aging, technology, as well as self-management will shape our practice over the next 5 years. Already in Canada, the number of seniors has outgrown the number of children under 14. As well, OTs are working more in more in self-management programs, both in the physical and mental/emotional realms, and in the public and private sectors. I see a much greater role for OTs in these areas, and I am excited for the role that technology will play in continuing to move our profession forward.

#OT365

No comments:

Post a Comment