Wednesday 19 December 2018

cOnnecT with Katie Eichar


Interview with Katie Eichar, UBC Master of Occupational Therapy I representative for the CAOT-BC Advisory Committee.


Why did you choose occupational therapy as a career?
I chose OT as a career because I enjoy people. I strongly believe that every human matters and
deserves the opportunity to have the best life possible. As an undergrad, I was waffling between
pursuing psychology and physical therapy, when someone mentioned OT, which I had never
heard of. After exploring the profession, I realized that OT was a career that would enable me to
work in a wide range of practice areas, incorporating mental and/or physical health, and would
also allow me to help people pursue the goals that are most important to them.

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?
My favourite thing about CAOT-BC is the amazing range of resources that are made available,
from professional development opportunities to current research, to information about OTs
who are working in different areas or on innovative projects. As someone just beginning the
journey to a career in OT, these resources are invaluable.

You are a volunteer for CAOT-BC, why do you do it?
I have joined the Advisory Committee as a student representative from UBC’s Master of
Occupational Therapy program in order to learn as much as possible about the OT field and
practice in BC. I feel that having this knowledge will help me provide the best possible care, by
keeping me up to date on practice trends and research, and will inform my ability to advocate
for OT and our clients.

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?
DO IT!! I am still an absolute beginner and know very little about the profession, but every bit I
do learn is fascinating and exciting. I’m very passionate about OT and the more I learn, the more
excited I become. I had the opportunity recently to attend the CAOT-BC-COTBC-UBC cOnnecT
Day Forum and be involved in great discussions that fueled my interest even more. OT is a
career that can be practiced in diverse settings and with diverse populations and offers
continual opportunity for professional growth and development.

What do you do when you aren't working and volunteering?
When I am not in school or working, I enjoy spending time outside. This includes walking around
the city of Vancouver, and camping and exploring Vancouver Island with my teenage son. I’m
also an avid gardener, and love to spend time tending my indoor orchid garden or growing veggies outdoors.

#OT365

No comments:

Post a Comment