Monday 28 January 2019

cOnnecT with Anisa Salmi


Interview with CAOT-BC Advisory Committee member Anisa Salmi

Why did you choose OT as a career?I have to be honest, I was one of those highly competitive over achievers when I was completing my Bachelor of Science Degree at the University of British Columbia, with the sole aim of going to medical school. After getting though the interview process for medical school but not getting into the program my mother actually introduced me to occupational therapy. And it was the best thing that ever happened to me! So, in short, I don’t think I chose occupational therapy, as much as it has found me on my life journey (thanks to my mom).
What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?I work as an independent contractor, and do not always have the luxury of being surrounded by another occupational therapist on a regular basis. CAOT-BC provides me with the opportunity to feel connected and inspired.
Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?I have been working both in the public and private sectors in both rural and urban settings. I started out my career working in the West Kootenays and then transitioned to working in the South Okanagan for Interior Health Authority. I also had an amazing opportunity to work and travel in New Zealand, where I worked privately in Tauranga, New Zealand.
I currently work privately with an amazing company Swift Health Services, which allows me to have freedom to schedule my life as well as innovation and tech-savviness in my practice. I am also a sole proprietor of Anisa’s Occupational Therapy Services.  
What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?Do it! Its an amazing career with endless possibilities.
What do you do when you aren't working and volunteering?I have a wonderful dog that joins me on many outdoor adventures. We like to go camping, hiking and exploring the beautiful landscape around us. I also enjoy surfing and kiteboarding, and I have recently acquired a long board which I am planning on mastering. I also enjoy skiing and snow shoeing. I have recently discovered Yoga-Pilates blend workouts, and integrated those into my daily morning routine. I am also a dancer, and enjoy belly dancing.
#OT365 

No comments:

Post a Comment