Wednesday 27 February 2019

cOnnecT with Shelly Dornian


Interview with CAOT-BC Advisory Committee member Shelly Dornian

Why did you choose OT as a career?
As an undergraduate I wanted to work in healthcare but wasn’t sure which profession to choose. One day while volunteering at the BC Children’s Hospital, I was playing with a little girl who was wearing a nasal cannula that kept falling off and interfering with our game. Just as I was thinking that we’d have to stop, an occupational therapist came in and fitted a device to keep the cannula in place. As I spent the rest of the shift playing with a much happier child, I thought that’s the job for me! I later shadowed therapists in a few different settings and was impressed with the idea of using occupation to improve people’s lives, as well as the wide variety of opportunities for career development.

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?

I have really appreciated feeling connected to other OTs through CAOT-BC and the advocacy work that CAOT-BC does to advance the profession. I also enjoy the opportunities to participate in the numerous educational and professional networking events that are facilitated through CAOT-BC.

What do you like about OT?
I value the unique role and diversity our profession can offer as we enable people to do the things they want and need to do in every day life across the lifespan and various settings. I like being able to connect with people about what is meaningful to them and feel honoured when they invite me to share in their recovery journeys.

You're a volunteer for CAOT-BC, why do you do it?
I joined the CAOT-BC Advisory Committee to be part of a group of people who share a passion for
influencing excellence in occupational therapy and supporting our clinician community. By complementing my clinical work with an active role with CAOT-BC, I hope to be able to support decisions that will have meaningful and positive impacts on the profession.

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?

That’s fantastic! Look for ways to learn more about it and try to shadow people on the job if you can. You will learn that occupational therapy is a rewarding career that will enable you to truly help others and allow for a great diversity of experience and opportunities.

What do you do when you aren't working and volunteering?

My husband and I are kept very busy with our three boys! We like to spend time together doing various activities, like going to parks, beaches, Vancouver attractions, and visiting our extended family. I also enjoy cooking, board games, and travelling.

#OT365

No comments:

Post a Comment