Wednesday 24 April 2019

cOnnecT with Diane Hobelaid


Why did you choose OT as a career? 
I was attracted to something in the medical field that helped people overcome illness and disability from a young age.  I think Jean Little’s books influenced me.

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC? 
I like CAOT-BC because of the way they bring the national organization to local interests and concerns, providing education and opportunities to contribute.

Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?  
I initially worked in Alberta, both in hospitals, and private practice.  Then in 1994 I went over to Britain and did some locum work there while travelling with my children. Since returning to Canada in 1995, I’ve mostly worked at the Fraser Valley Child Development Centre – an awesome place to work – great families, great colleagues.  In 2011, I went to Australia to do some graduate work in Dance/Movement therapy and worked while there for a private practice, with autistic children mostly.  Since 2017 I have been working in my own private practice, Therapy Explorations, serving people in the upper Fraser Valley, but also doing some international work as a volunteer.  I’ve done some combined OT and Dance/Movement therapy in Kenya, and India recently, and looking forward to a return to the project in Kenya shortly.  I am in the final years of practicing my career, and still learning and growing as a professional as well as personally. 


What has surprised you most about working as an OT?  
What has surprised me most about OT has been the way I have been able to grow, both professionally and personally over time, through my work and engagement with others.  I find myself at the peak of my abilities, working consciously on all the levels of human experience, more and more easily as the years go on. 

What is your personal philosophy about volunteering and giving back to the profession? 
I have benefitted so much from the sharing of expertise by other OT’s, both younger and more senior to me, that I want to have the satisfaction of giving back to the profession.  By mentoring students and young therapists, as well as educating the public about occupational therapy, and encouraging high school students to pursue careers in rehabilitation medicine, I feel I can bring my passion and the fruit of a long career to others. 

Tell me about someone who has influenced your OT practice?  
Mary Benbow and Kimberly Barthel have been my favorite teachers during my career, building both practical skills, but also giving me confidence in my intuitive judgements.

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT? 
I’d say go for it, if you are considering becoming an OT – it gives you wonderful opportunities to grow and learn, so you will never be bored!  You will always work with intelligent, creative, wonderful people and you will have opportunities to connect with people around the world!  

#OT365

No comments:

Post a Comment