Wednesday 25 September 2019

cOnnecT with Alexa Laidlaw


Interview with Alexa Laidlaw, University of Alberta representative for the CAOT-BC Advisory Committee. 


Why did you choose occupational therapy as a career?
I have always wanted a career that allows me to help people improve their health and the quality of their lives. I got curious about OT while working on applications for PT programs. Once I learned more about the OT profession and its principles and approach, I was hooked. The focus on function and the consideration of the physical, mental, emotional and spiritual aspects of a person were especially appealing to me. OT allows me to be innovative, solve complex problems, and make tangible differences in the lives of others. With a large and evolving range of OT client populations and practice environments, a career in OT offers endless opportunities for professional growth and development.

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?
I appreciate the advocacy work that CAOT-BC does to advance and support the profession of OT in BC. CAOT-BC shares opportunities to connect OTs throughout the province and provides continuing education resources to help further professional development. In addition, as a student studying out of province, I love that CAOT-BC provides great electronic communication and resources to help to me stay up to date and connected with the OT profession in BC.

What do you like about occupational therapy?

There is so much to love about OT! I love the person-centered and strengths-based approach of OT, and the focus on helping individuals and families do what they want and need to do each day. I appreciate how creative, self directed, and collaborative I get to be. I value that OT allows me to be myself and encourages me to bring my own unique personality and skills to practice.

What is your personal philosophy about volunteering and giving back to the profession?
I view volunteering as an essential part of personal development, community building, and advancing the OT professional practice. To me, volunteering and giving back to the profession offers a chance to connect with other OTs and stakeholders, develop new skills, and build on or apply existing experience and knowledge. I have experienced the strong sense of connection with community that develops through the shared experiences that arise through volunteering. In addition, there are many events and opportunities that would not be possible without the work of volunteers. I believe by giving back to the profession with our time and knowledge we can facilitate and engage in experiences that allow for advances in OT practitioners and the profession.

What would you tell someone who is thinking about becoming an OT?
I’m so excited for you! OT is an incredibly rewarding career choice that offers many diverse experiences and opportunities to help others. Take the time to shadow or speak with OTs across different practice settings to learn what the profession has to offer and determine if it’s the right fit for you. Be intentional in cultivating a consistent self-care practice. You will be most effective as an OT student and practitioner when you are able show up with self-awareness and the capacity to be present with your clients and colleagues.

What do you do when you aren't studying and volunteering?
Long days trail running or skiing in the mountains with friends is my favourite way to connect with nature, myself, and with others. I feel so fortunate to live in BC where there are wild spaces just outside my doorstep. I try to get out, slow down, and explore as often as I can! 

#OT365

No comments:

Post a Comment