Wednesday 13 November 2019

CAOT-BC Dianna Mah-Jones Memorial Grant for Innovation: Supporting innovative occupational therapy practice


Pamela Hood Szivek, recipient of the 2019 CAOT-BC Dianna Mah-Jones Memorial Grant for Innovation shares how this grant has supported and enhanced her practice. 

The CAOT-BC Dianna Mah-Jones Memorial Grant for Innovation allowed me to attend Seeing and Moving: Visual Vestibular Course with Kim Barthel.  This course provided cutting edge neuroscience research and applied it to the rationale for interpreting children's posture, movement and behaviour during demonstrations of a master therapist working directly with a child.  Then, therapists practiced assessment and treatment techniques on each other to provide the right inputs at the right time for each person's unique sensory system.  

This pragmatic course made it possible to immediately apply the theory to practice.  I returned to my practice with a greater ability to follow the child's lead, and to watch and wonder and ask more questions, before developing specific treatment goals and planning treatment approaches. I also learned to make my plans tentative, open to continued learning about the child and adjustment of approach throughout the treatment process.  Another take home lesson from this course was less reliance on equipment and more emphasis on the therapeutic use of self.  

Finally, the presenter modelled a deep compassion rooted in an advanced trauma-informed approach in caring for children, families and ourselves as therapists.  Much of what I learned validated my clinical practices.  My observation skills around posture and movement were honed considerably, and my repertoire of treatment techniques was expanded, both of which help me to target treatments better to match my client's needs.

- Pamela Hood Szivek, OT

Learn more about CAOT-BC grants and apply annually between February 15 and May 31. 

#OT365



No comments:

Post a Comment