Monday 9 December 2019

CAOT-BC Dianna Mah-Jones Memorial Grant for Innovation: Supporting innovative occupational therapy practice


Holly Tang, recipient of the 2019 CAOT-BC Dianna Mah-Jones Memorial Grant for Innovation shares how this grant has supported and enhanced her practice.

In August of 2019, I was fortunate enough to attend a course called: Dementia Care: A comprehensive approach to support for aging in place. I am grateful to CAOT-BC’s Dianna Mah-Jones Memorial Grant for Innovation, as it allowed me to attend this course and to network with others who work with people with dementia.  
On the first day, we reviewed the types of dementia, it’s physiology, how it affects ADLs, why and how we could setup the activity for the person to achieve success in their ADLs - very basic OT principles, but great discussions nonetheless. OTs all over the province and across the country shared unique stories of their encounters with people with dementia, the assessment tools, interventions and strategies. 
The next day focused on how to evaluate and setup a day program for people with dementia; who the stakeholders may be; what is needed in regard to the environment and how might a program be evaluated. Although, I am not sure how many OTs were in the position to carry out such a daunting yet exciting endeavour, the idea that OTs are in the position to engage in such a conversation impressed and empowered me to try out new ideas. 
Reflecting on how this course has influenced me – the course itself charged me with energy to return to my work place to change my practice, to share the new tidbits that I learned, but to also begin engaging in hard conversations with my colleagues on how to better care for people with dementia as a team. 
Typically, after a course, I would organize an in-service for my fellow occupational therapy colleagues. This time is no different. What will be different is that I intend on seeking out an opportunity to talk to the care aids and nursing colleagues in my workplace. I want to have a dialogue with them on my new learnings and engage them in meaningful conversations regarding their practices. They are the colleagues that work in very close proximity with people with dementia on a daily basis. 
I believe that exploring our attitudes towards this population and generating meaningful conversations in my workplace is the first step to changing practice and will lead to continued improvement with the quality of care that we provide. 

- Holly Tang, OT

Learn more about CAOT-BC grants and apply annually between February 15 and May 31. 

#OT365

No comments:

Post a Comment