Wednesday 29 July 2020

cOnnecT with Sarah-Lee Collins



Interview with Sarah-Lee Collins, University of Alberta student representative for the CAOT-BC Advisory Committee. 

Why did you choose occupational therapy as a career?
I had the opportunity to shadow my two local OTs during the summer (in rural BC) while completing my undergrad. I was drawn to the dynamic nature of their work and the variety! The variety was what really drew me to look into OT, as I am a person who appreciates a diversity of tasks and challenges. I appreciated their wealth of knowledge and their ability to work to find creative solutions. I enjoy interacting with people and have always known I needed to have a career which involved the use of my interpersonal skills. I enjoy the fact that OT is based upon a holistic approach to healthcare, with a real focus on collaborating with the client. Of course, the fact that occupational therapy is most concerned with meaningful activity is motivating in itself, and I feel that this is going to be a fulfilling career which aligns with my personal values. I am looking forward to eventually entering the workforce in such a promising and motivating career! 

What is your favourite thing about CAOT-BC?
My most favorite thing is that it represents BC! I love living in BC and wouldn’t change it for the world. But on a professional level, I appreciate that CAOT-BC strives to promote local networking and access to relevant resources. I am looking forward to learning even more about CAOT-BC and the OT practice within BC.  

Where have you worked over your career? Where do you work now?
Before applying to complete my masters, I worked for one year as a kinesiologist/ physiotherapy assistant at CBI in Chilliwack, BC. I really enjoyed the position, as it gave me a taste of the clinical setting including the dynamics within the workplace as well as helping me to begin forming my therapeutic use of self. My most favorite “job” position, however, is as a yoga instructor which I have been doing since 2013. Currently, I am a student and not working. 

What might someone be surprised to know about you?
I was born in South Africa, but moved to Canada when I was 7 years old. I have never been back just because I have not yet had the chance to go back to visit. 

What do you think will change/shape practice over the next five years?
I believe technology, as it is growing so quickly, will continue to change how OTs practice in terms of adaptive devices and assessment tools as well as the way documenting and communication happens within practice and between other health care professionals. I am also hopeful that as the need for OTs continues to grow especially with the aging population, more people might start to understand what it is that OTs do! 

What do you do when you aren't studying and volunteering?
I love cooking and trying new recipes. I also love to exercise and spend time outdoors: hiking, going to the lake, and just spending time in nature. I honestly have not been volunteering a whole lot since undergrad, but really enjoy getting involved in various events on campus- hence this position, I guess. I have previously volunteered at new student orientation (during undergrad) and am excited to be a part of that this fall with the new OT cohort at the UofA. 

#OT365

No comments:

Post a Comment